zondag 9 mei 2010

Church in the home Wed.evenings 31/Mar/2010, “The pre-burials of Jesus”, or anointings of Jesus

Church in the home Wednesday evenings 31st Mar 2010



I want to call this “The pre-burials of Jesus”.


There are 3 anointings of Jesus, and 4 records of these, two being of the one and self same occasion.
These records are examples of great love extended to our Lord Jesus and confront us as to out love for Him, and are a test as to how far we are prepared to go to show our love to Him.
The “woman” of Matthew 26 and Mary (Lazarus brother) on John 12 are both attributed to having done the anointing because of “'Suffer her; for the day of my embalming she hath kept it”, and “for she having put this ointment on my body -- for my burial she did it”. Both are in some way symbolical burial anointings not long before Jesus would suffer and die. Intriguing.



Matthew 26: 1-16, & Mark 14:3-9 being the same record
John 12 : 1 – 8
Luke 7 : 36 - 39




Matthew 26:1-16

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
a woman came to Him with an alabaster vial of very costly perfume, and she poured it on His head as He reclined at the table.

Where: The house of Simon the Leper,
When: 2 days before the Passover
What: Alabaster jar of very expensive perfume
Who: A woman

Same incident as…..

Mark 14:3-9.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
While He was in Bethany at the home of Simon the leper, and reclining at the table, there came a woman with an alabaster vial of very costly perfume of pure nard; and she broke the vial and poured it over His head.

Where: The house of Simon the Leper,
When: 2 days before the Passover
What: Alabaster jar of very expensive perfume
Who: A woman


Matthew 26:12 – various translations:


New International Version (©1984)
When she poured this perfume on my body, she did it to prepare me for burial.
New Living Translation (©2007)
She has poured this perfume on me to prepare my body for burial.

English Standard Version (©2001)
In pouring this ointment on my body, she has done it to prepare me for burial.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
"For when she poured this perfume on My body, she did it to prepare Me for burial.

International Standard Version (©2008)
When she poured this perfume on my body, she was preparing me for burial.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
She poured this perfume on my body before it is placed in a tomb.

King James Bible
For in that she hath poured this ointment on my body, she did it for my burial.

American King James Version
For in that she has poured this ointment on my body, she did it for my burial.

American Standard Version
For in that she poured this ointment upon my body, she did it to prepare me for burial.

Bible in Basic English
For in putting this perfume on my body, she did it to make me ready for my last resting-place.

Douay-Rheims Bible
For she in pouring this ointment upon my body, hath done it for my burial.

Darby Bible Translation
For in pouring out this ointment on my body, she has done it for my burying.

English Revised Version
For in that she poured this ointment upon my body, she did it to prepare me for burial.

Webster's Bible Translation
For in that she hath poured this ointment on my body, she did it for my burial.

Weymouth New Testament
In pouring this ointment over me, her object was to prepare me for burial.

World English Bible
For in pouring this ointment on my body, she did it to prepare me for burial.

Young's Literal Translation
for she having put this ointment on my body -- for my burial she did it.

John 12: 1-7




Where: Bethany, probably Lazarus house as he was there and Martha served, and mary anointed.
When: 6 days before the Passover
What: A pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly.
Who: Mary, Lazarus sister
What anointed: feet with ointment, and wiped with her hair


Mary was probably not one of those who were busying themselves with the anointment of Jesus body with spices.
New American Standard Bible ©
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mary Anoints Jesus
1 Jesus, therefore, six days before the Passover, came to Bethany where Lazarus was, whom Jesus had raised from the dead.
2 So they made Him a supper there, and Martha was serving; but Lazarus was one of those reclining at the table with Him.
3 Mary then took a pound of very costly perfume of pure nard, and anointed the feet of Jesus and wiped His feet with her hair; and the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.
4 But Judas Iscariot, one of His disciples, who was intending to betray Him, said,
5 “Why was this perfume not sold for three hundred denarii and given to poor people?”
6 Now he said this, not because he was concerned about the poor, but because he was a thief, and as he had the money box, he used to pilfer what was put into it.
7 Therefore Jesus said, “Let her alone, so that she may keep it for the day of My burial.
8 “For you always have the poor with you, but you do not always have Me.”


John 12: 1-7 – various translations

New International Version (©1984)
"Leave her alone," Jesus replied. "[It was intended] that she should save this perfume for the day of my burial.
New Living Translation (©2007)
Jesus replied, "Leave her alone. She did this in preparation for my burial.

English Standard Version (©2001)
Jesus said, “Leave her alone, so that she may keep it for the day of my burial.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
Therefore Jesus said, "Let her alone, so that she may keep it for the day of My burial.

International Standard Version (©2008)
Then Jesus said, "Leave her alone so she can observe the day of my burial,

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
Jesus said to Judas, "Leave her alone! She has done this to prepare me for the day I will be placed in a tomb.

King James Bible
Then said Jesus, Let her alone: against the day of my burying hath she kept this.

American King James Version
Then said Jesus, Let her alone: against the day of my burying has she kept this.

American Standard Version
Jesus therefore said, Suffer her to keep it against the day of my burying.

Bible in Basic English
Then Jesus said, Let her be. Let her keep what she has for the day of my death.

Douay-Rheims Bible
Jesus therefore said: Let her alone, that she may keep it against the day of my burial.

Darby Bible Translation
Jesus therefore said, Suffer her to have kept this for the day of my preparation for burial;

English Revised Version
Jesus therefore said, Suffer her to keep it against the day of my burying.

Webster's Bible Translation
Then said Jesus, Let her alone: against the day of my burial hath she kept this.

Weymouth New Testament
But Jesus interposed. "Do not blame her," He said, "allow her to have kept it for the time of my preparation for burial.

World English Bible
But Jesus said, "Leave her alone. She has kept this for the day of my burial.

Young's Literal Translation
Jesus, therefore, said, 'Suffer her; for the day of my embalming she hath kept it,
Other similar record….

Luke 7:37
And there was a woman in the city who was a sinner; and when she learned that He was reclining at the table in the Pharisee's house, she brought an alabaster vial of perfume, (NASB ©1995)

Where: The Pharisees house
When:?
What: Alabaster vial perfume
Who: A woman who was a sinner
What anointed: feet washed with tear, and dried with her hair, and anointed feet with perfume.


New American Standard:
36 Now one of the Pharisees was requesting Him to dine with him, and He entered the Pharisee’s house and reclined at the table.
37 And there was a woman in the city who was a sinner; and when she learned that He was reclining at the table in the Pharisee’s house, she brought an alabaster vial of perfume,
38 and standing behind Him at His feet, weeping, she began to wet His feet with her tears, and kept wiping them with the hair of her head, and kissing His feet and anointing them with the perfume.




http://www.biblicalunitarian.com (Biblical Unitarianism website)
http://www.truthortradition.com (Truth or Tradition web site)
http://www.stfonline.org/ (Spirit and Truth fellowship online website)

Geen opmerkingen: