zondag 9 mei 2010

Church in the home Wed.evening’s 20/Jan/2010, Speaking in tongues:

Church in the home Wednesday evening’s 20/Jan/2010

Speaking in tongues:



For this evenings encouragement we read from 3 different sources, sources written by men who actually believed in speaking in tongues as described in the bible. There are many who do not believe the words written in both the old and the new testament about speaking or praying in the spirit, so to find a few who do and when those few write enthusiastically about it is a treasure indeed.

The three sources used are given below;

1. Gifts of the Spirit, by B.G. Leonard, CTC press Marysville, Washington, USA (first published 1949, Unabridged edition Oct. 1970 second edition Sept. 1971, paperback edition 1978) pages 17-24.

Leonard has a “What is it” section in his writings, and for tongues (or the gift of tongues as he calls it in his writings)
Quote
What is it
The gift of tongues is the God-given ability to speak in other tongues at will. End of quote

This is a simple short but effective definition of tongues or speaking in tongues.
He goes on to say, “When we say that you speak with other tongues, we mean that you speak with tongues (languages) that you do not comprehend.”
Six times the term “unknown tongue” is used in 1 Corinthians 14 referring to speaking in tongues.
Speaking in tongues is also praying and singing in tongues. It is also referred to as praying in the spirit.

2. Why I speak in tongues (booklet) by Peter J Wade, published by American Christian Press, New Knoxville Ohio, USA (date of publishing unknown, but most probably early 1970’s)

Pages 1-18 (all)

esp. P.2 P.4, P. 7, P. 9, P. 14,

P. 14 lists some of the attributes of speaking in tongues,

I speak to God
I speak divine mysteries
I speak praise and prayer
I give thanks well
I edify my spirit
I strengthen the inner man
I pray perfectly
I truly worship the Father
I make Jesus Christ Lord of my life
I witness that I am saved
I edify the church when I interpret my message.


3. Receiving the holy spirit today by V.P. Wierwille, published by the American Christian Press, New Knoxville, Ohio, USA.
Pages 41-53

On page 44 of the abovementioned book Wierwille states “When you speak in tongues it is the spirit in you which is in direct communication with your heavenly Father, and as such your spirit is edified. This is the spirit from God in as a gift, which is now your spirit because you have been born again. Could you think of anything more wonderful than a direct communication with God?”

Speaking in tongues breathes spiritual life into you, and helps you in your walk with God.

Geen opmerkingen: